Monday, September 25, 2017

September 25, 2017

Boa tarde everyone!

Thank you for all of your emails, they have all been a blessing for me today!

So we went to Walmart today. This may seem insignificant to you guys in America, but I haven't been in two months. That is way too much time apart from my favorite store. My love was rekindled and I am grateful that a store with cheap fruit and everything I need is only a half hour walk from my house! I also got Sister Moura to like Walmart (today was her first Walmart experience) and I would be lying if I say that it doesn't feel like an accomplishment.

Silly thoughts aside, my week has been good! After I emailed you all last week, a group of us went to an exhibit called human bodies. It was all about how the human body functions and all of the bodies (5) were real. At first, I felt freaked out, then interested, then crushed. The reason being was that they had a group of eight feti, and that is when my missionary mind kicked in and I thought about the ressurrection. Knowing me, I started to cry. I tried to hide it from the others in the group, but Luan (recent convert) noticed and told my companion. I couldn't communicate how I was feeling in português because I was so emotional, so one of the American sisters, Sister Kemp, came over and helped me out. I told her that I know God's plan is perfect, and that everyone's bodies will be made perfect, but the bodies here were taken apart! She told me that Heavenly Father is all powerful and will take care of the people here and that they were here so we could learn more and educate ourselves. It was still hard for me to feel better, but I've been praying for the souls that belong to those bodies.

Sad story aside, we had divisions this week! My sister leaders are Sister Kemp and Sister Leyva, and they are really awesome! I went on splits with Sister Leyva, and it was hard! Their area feels like they have mountains, and not many people were home to hear our message. But we did teach one person, Gloria. She's an old Catholic woman that understands a lot about God and Jesus Christ, and we were able to teach her about the restoration! I'm grateful for her sweet spirit, it really helped encourage me and not feel sad that other people were not wanted to listen.

Friday was also a blessing because we had lunch with Joana, a member with a husband that didn't want to listen to our message. But after we ate, we shared the third lesson with him, with a lot of emphasis on baptism (that was his main concern). What I thought was anger was simply animated conversation and questions. The real blessing is that his heart was touched, and he is willing to hear another lesson this week. Muito legal!

Saturday was another blessing! We were visiting with Kátia, she's ready to be baptized but needs to get married first. We taught her son (who is preparing to be baptized) and her husband. The lesson was blessed with openness and understanding, and we got a reference! Kátia's mother has never been contacted by the missionaries even though her daughter goes to church every week. She wants to learn more, how exciting!

And of course yesterday was wonderful, we got to hear the women's session of General Conference! It was a mix of listening and understanding the português and trying to hear the English under the português. I think my favorite talk was by Sister Marriott. At the end of her talk, she spoke of Christlike love, and that was really strong for me. Something I've realized is that I love my family so much, especially my twin. But Sister Moura is not my twin, she is a different person, and she can't read my thoughts like my twin can. That being said, I have the potential to love her just as much as I love my twin, but I need to learn her love language, which is very different from mine. Something I've needed to ask myself is how can I show my companion that I want to be her friend and that I love her? We've been able to talk about it yesterday and today, and I'm excited for the change that's ahead! I know that when we accept change and strive to become more Christlike, we can receive blessings and increased happiness!

I love you all so much, please keep sending me all of your inspirational thoughts!
Sister Carlson

No comments:

Post a Comment