Monday, September 4, 2017

September 4, 2017

Bom dia!

Wow it feels like 60 years have passed since I last emailed you all! I have a lot to say, so get some snacks and buckle up!

Tuesday was the day we transferred! I stuck close to Sister Kearsley because I was feeling more than a little nervous. When we pulled into the mission home, my adreneline went through the roof! Elder and Sister Silcox are really great, and made sure we all felt welcome. When I had a moment to think, the tears surprised me! Just the newness and apprehensiveness caught up with me, but it passed quickly and excitement replaced it! I got my new companion Sister Moura and she is amazing! Here in Brasil, I'm her "daughter" (instead of greenie) because she needs to teach me everything. She later told me that she was relieved that I knew some português because she doesn't know much english. Before we left the mission home, Sister Silcox pulled me and Sister Kearsley aside for a second. She said that if we ever needed to speak some english to please call her! Isn't that cute? She said that this would be really hard, but I already knew that! The thing that I keep at the front of my mind when I'm discouraged is that Heavenly Father needs to break me down before he can build me up as the missionary He needs me to be! I'm like a muscle!

After our orientation, Nilton (a member) came and picked us up with his wife. That was when I really realized that my português has a long way to go until I'm fluent! When we got to our house, I felt overwhelmed; it is so tiny! This new home is humble, and I'm really glad that Vila Carrão is my first area, it has helped me remember to be grateful for everything I have. What a beautiful plan that Heavenly Father has given us!

This week has been one of much growth for me. Initially, I was terrified to teach people with my broken português, but it has been really great. The night I got there, we went to teach Jisela. It was a good learning experience for me because my testimony about the Book of Mormon and the restortation have increased. Why? Because I'm sharing my testimony always!

On my first day, we has a meeting with our zone. They are a really fun group, some Americans were able to help me figure out some questions I had. After, we had lunch with Simone. Here in Brasil, instead of dinner appointments, we have lunch appointments! It was kind of hard because people usually speak quickly, so following what they're saying is difficult. My companion is a great lunch companion, she is always engaged in the conversation and sometimes turns to me to see if I understood. Then we taught Evelyn, a thirteen year old that has committed to be baptized next Sunday! What a cool experience! At night, we gave pass-along cards to people. It was scary at first because I couldn't remember my memorized line "Queremos compartilhar este carto com você" (We want to share this card with you). It becomes easier to speak each day!

On Thursday, we taught Regina. We found Regina at her hair salon, it was raining and work was slow. So we taught the first lesson to her! I was asked to give the closing prayer, and afterwards, I saw that she was crying. For a second I was scared she was crying because my português was bad, but then Sister Moura started talking and I realized it was the spirit that touched her. How special that I could be an instrument in the Lord's hands!

On Friday, we had a really special experience with Kátia. She is known as an "infinitivo pesquisador", which means that she's doing all the right things, but she doesn't want to be baptized. After lunch, and we had talked for a while, I asked "O que impede você ser batizada?" (What is stopping you from being baptized?) She then told us about things in her live that had lined up, and how she wanted to be batpized! The only problem is that she's not married, and she has four kids. That's the situation for many people in Brasil; they have a family but don't get married because it's expensive. The law of chastity and eternal marriage are very important topics we teach here! She said she would talk to her husband about marriage once we left.

On Saturday, we taught Flávio. He had contacted the church and asked for a Book of Mormon. The lesson went poorly, to say the least. He is single and there was no woman that could be with us for the lesson, so we sat outside. It was late, and Satan easily scared me with different senarios that could happen. Because I was feeling this fear, the spirit couldn't reach me and I taught shortly and badly. Sister Moura said she couldn't feel the spirit either, so we are both praying that next time the spirit will be present. Flávio lives at the edge of our area, and it was a long walk home. I told Sister Moura about all of the thoughts I had had, and she asked me "Are those thoughts from you or from the spirit?" I didn't know, so we took the bus home.

Sunday was great! Everyone was really nice and could mostly understand me! It was fast Sunday, so I was able to bear my testimony. Something Sister Moura has helped me realize about myself is when I'm nervous, I can't teach. Because of this, she said "Teach what you know, not what you've memorized". This has really helped me in teaching lessons. Another thing she often says is "Calma" or "Tranquila". I am a naturally stressed person, so to have someone like Sister Moura in my life, someone to tell me to chill out, is a blessing! Anyway, that night we taught Vagner and his wife Taiane. He's an investigator and she's an inactive member. They are not married, and they have the cutest 2 year old named Ana! The spirit was definitely with me when I was able to testify about our purpose on this earth. Because I had pushed my nervousness aside, I could speak well and with the power given to me by God. This was a powerful experience for me because it has encouraged me to learn and know all of the lessons like I know about our purpose here. Vagner wants to be baptized, and said he will think about marriage. What a miracle! After the lesson, we had to run to the church for an appointment with the LMA. We actually ran up several hills. Let's just say that my heels are not happy with me!

In our planners, Sister Moura and I have a section called "Milagre no Dia" (Miracle of the day). This has really helped me to have gratitude in my life and to see His hand in the work. Sister Moura is a great companion, she's laid back but ready to get the work done! I've learned so much from her, especially because we've been practicing lessons and words as we walk.

Before I sign off, I want to tell about one more experience! Many people in Brazil know a lot about the Bible, and I've found my lack of knowledge embarrassing. So I started to study the book of Job. Usually, I would be hesitant to study the Old Testament, but I love it! The word of God, both the Bible and the Book of Mormon, are a blessing!

I think that's all I have time for! I don't think I can send picures, my camera is acting funky. I'll try to find a way to send them soon!

I love you all so much!
Sister Rollins-Carlson

No comments:

Post a Comment