Tuesday, September 19, 2017

September 18, 2017

Good morning everyone!

So today is my two-month mark in Brazil, how exciting! This week has been full of exciting things!

First of all, it has been hot! Someone told me we skipped spring and went straight into summer! Because the sun is so strong and I really don't want to have a sunburn, I've been using an umbrella to keep the worst of the sun away from my face. Talk about dainty!
Second of all, I ate half of a chicken heart yesterday! At lunch, Márcia had a Brazilian BBQ (which was fantastic). She showed me a piece of meat and asked if I wanted it. After my brain processed "coração" and "frango", I politely declined. Sister Moura wasn't having it and put one on my plate. I tried to eat the whole thing but remembered half way through that I was eating a heart. I'll be trying to be more open about what I eat in the future!
Another exciting thing was that when we were walking to an appointment. Sister Moura does not like dogs, she does her best to avoid them. We walked past this family, and a tiny little dog suddenly shot out from the open gate, barking like mad. The owners were able to get the little dog under control, but I think he probably would have chased us down the street if given the chance. And this dog was smaller than Hinckley! It was a funny experience.

After I emailed last week, Sister Moura and I got to have a picnic with Sister Kemp, Sister Leyva, and Luan (a recent convert)! After we ate, we took lots of pictures in the park! I'll try to send some, but my camera is not great with computers. It was really fun!

So this week has been kind of hard, but good! With one investigator, Janaína, we were able to talk about marriage in the temple! She and her boyfriend have a tiny little baby named Julia, and she is two months old. When we were there to teach her, Janaína wanted to make us suka (a drink), and Sister Moura was in the bathroom, so she gave Julia to me! I was about to protest because missionaries aren't supposed to hold babies, but no one else was there to hold her. I think I held her for fifteen minutes, she's so cute! I talked to my companion afterward because my goal is to be exactly obedient to the white handbook, but she said that this was alright because I held her to help Janaína out. Anyway, we had a special experience with her. Janaína said that she didn't really want to get married, but when we talked about the promises of an eternal marriage in the temple, her view changed. She kept saying "I want that." Sister Moura and I are hoping for a wedding by the end of this transfer!

On Friday, we had interviews with Presidente Silcox! He was able to share with me something he does to prepare for the sacrament and encouraged me to find something, a hymn, scripture, or talk, that helped prepare me for the ordinance of the sacrament. Then Sister Moura and I talked about our Area Book with Sister Silcox, it was good! She's also the health manager, and the thing she emphasized the most was for me to use sunscreen and drink water, because "you're so white". She must have said it five times, it was funny! 
Sister Moura and I were informed that we would be moving houses this week. Apparently, this is very exciting because past missionaries have been trying to live in a different house for a long time. We'll be living close to a less active family, so I'm hoping that we'll really be able to help them get back to church so they can feel the blessings of this gospel in their lives!

I think that's all I have time for! I love you all so much!
Sister Carlson





No comments:

Post a Comment